Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Letting Go

In last month’s IWSG post (find other IWSG posts here), I shared my struggles with giving up my writing deadlines because of circumstances beyond my control (i.e., health issues).  A month later, I have found some measure of peace with accepting my realities.  Delaying the release of my fourth book has indeed allowed me to take care of myself, deal with some of the health issues, rest, relax (as much as a person like me ever does), and breathe.  I am not sure when I will release the book because I just can’t face another deadline while I am in the middle of the health issues, and because I really think that this time to clear my head is going to prove immensely valuable to my long-term writing career.

Sometimes we have to lose some of the things we want to make space to learn.  That is what I feel right now, the willingness to embrace uncertainty, to open myself to other directions in life, to trust that all of this will work out just the way it is meant to.

Even after all these years and all the bumps and bruises, I still believe.

And just for fun, someone else in my life has had to let go of the illusion of control and embrace the realities of his health issues.  This is Gilbert and his cone of shame.

Wishing everyone happy holidays and an amazing new year!

10 comments:

Patricia Lynne said...

Awww, Gilbert looks so cute in his cone of shame.

Recently, I had to put writing on the back burner. There's just no choice sometimes. It's what needs to be done in order what's best for us. I hope your health issues work out eventually and you can figure out what to do with your writing.

Jemi Fraser said...

Poor Gilbert!!

I hope you're feeling well soon and that life settles for you. It's hard when things aren't within our control (speaking as a total control freak!) Take care! *hugs*

Charity Bradford said...

Awe, sweet puppy. I hope your health improves, but good for you for accepting that sometimes it's better to take care of yourself--even when it's so hard to do!

Who knows, maybe all this good thinking time will make the next novel that much easier to write.

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Julie.
I hope you get better soon.
A good rest helps to recharge those batteries...
Nice to meet you via IWSG.
Take care of yourself.
Writer In Transit

Diane Burton said...

I hope you feel better soon. Rest, read, recharge. Many of us have been in the same position.

Suzanne Sapsed said...

I am glad you've found some peace, trying to step back and make changes can be difficult, but in the long term necessary.
Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe
xx

readfaced said...

I hope you start feeling better soon (Gilbert too!).

It is hard not to be able to do the things we want to do them, when we want to do them. I am sure it will get better. Keep taking those deep breaths.

Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com )

Cheree Smith said...

Hope you feel well soon. It can be scary to face changes, but once embraced they can be good. Just rest up and feel better.

Tina said...

Oh I hear you, sister. I struggle with four chronic illnesses, and sometimes you just can't control what happens. Letting go is hard. What you said about "as much as a person like me does" you're talking about me. This is my biggest struggle in life: letting go of the control. Loved this post - really spoke to me.
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014
Co-hosting the IWSG

Fifi Islaih said...

I've delayed publishing my book once. It wasn't bad. I hope things get better.