Friday, July 6, 2012

The Universe Giveth and Taketh Away... My Computer

Last Friday, my big release date, was exciting and fabulous, but still, I was thinking of the future and my second book’s release date (coming very soon), so even though I had resting and rehabilitation to accomplish, I started working on the next draft of The Downs.  Typy, typy, typy, and poof (poof in the form of a grey expanding unpleasantness draining down my computer screen).  Okay, not helpful.  Restart.  Then restart again.  Open files.  Typy, typy, typy.  And BEEP, BEEP, BEEP (no, I wasn’t swearing; the computer actually beeped at me like an unbalanced cabbie).  It wouldn’t stop.  BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.  Okay, force quit.  Restart.  Open files and... you guessed it: BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.
Applecare support phone call later: My new laptop is a very sick creature.  I took my baby computer to my appointment and the nice man (who might have mocked my co-dependence just a tad) said I would have to leave my computer with him and walk out of the store alone.  Alone?  I didn’t understand.  I asked him if he was nice to children (indicating the computer) and he said yes, but he admitted to kicking puppies (he was actually pretty charming and funny for a genius).  I admit it: I almost cried when I left my laptop.  Sniffles... much.
But it didn’t take long to understand that after achieving a lifelong goal of releasing a book into the world, it was time to recoup, not launch manically into the next goal.  Besides, I had company in town and this way I had the chance to see her and do crazy things like take naps and eat plenty (my favorite restaurant has the best grilled artichokes on the planet).
So, what I’ve learned so far in this publishing adventure is to listen when the universe gives you inspiration; accept when the universe takes away your computer (for a limited time only); and enjoy the friends who love you enough to come visit to celebrate your release date.  And basically, serve your purpose, no matter what that is.  All the hard work I have put in is coming around as I read comments of people who don’t know me who are loving their time in The Wild Wood.  The universal comment has been that people couldn’t put it down (pretty nice comment if I do say so myself).
Hope everyone has a great weekend, and treat your computers nicely.  You don’t know when you might suffer from an abrupt parting.  And if you would like to spend some time in The Wild Wood, it is available in print and ebook.


"A suspenseful story about friends, family and sacrifice... The town of Dunlowe, shivering under Pastor Rowe's rule, is sufficiently enigmatic—not to mention terrifying—to create suspense and deliver thrills."  Kirkus Reviews



Quote for the Day from Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”

6 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Woohoo!!! On the book release, not the computer issues! I'm so sorry I missed it (June was complete and total chaos - I was lucky to remember to cook for the family...)

I've got my copy downloaded - can't wait to dig in!

Hope your computer is away for a very short time!

Congrats again!!! *big hugs*

Liza said...

"Can't put it down" is about the best review you could ever get. Congratulations!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congrats on your book release and my sympathies on your computer. I've had so many computer issues over the past year I understand completely.

Elsie said...

Congratulations on your book release!

On a side note, my heart sank a bit when I read it was a Mac that tanked on you...NO!! Say it isn't possible!! You've inspired me to backup to my TimeCapsule right now. Good luck with your computer woos.

Shelley Sly said...

Hi Julie! Congratulations on your release! I didn't realize you had a book coming out until I read Jemi's blog post. (Sorry, been living under a rock lately.) Your cover is beautiful, and your book sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Look forward to reading it!

Good luck with your computer!

Lance Vartanian said...

Hey Julie! Firstly, I wanna congratulate you for a successful release of your book! It was such a great achievement! Anyway, it seems like you have this emotional connection with your laptop. Well, I can’t blame you for that. Your laptop has played a big part on your success. I hope your laptop is doing fine now. Hehe.