Wednesday, May 2, 2012

About You Wednesday

I've been thinking about what I would ask followers of my blog and it wasn't hard to figure out.  Since making the decision to self-publish, I really wonder what others think about doing the same.  I know for everyone the reasons to self-pub or not to self-pub are unique, but I wonder what the catalyst is for the ones who have done/or are doing it and what keeps others from diving in.  So, if you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear your thoughts.


The book trailer for my upcoming YA fantasy, The Wild Wood

2 comments:

Carrie-Anne said...

I've considered e-publishing for my long historical sagas, not only to keep creative control but also because it's really freaking frustrating to see the dearth of novels with meat on their bones in the last decade or so. I've talked to a lot of people who say they love long books, even though the prevailing so-called wisdom claims "no one" has the attention span to want to read something that's over 700 pages long. It's been so long since that was considered normal that many people now react with derision or shock when they hear that someone who's not already a super-famous author dared to write something that was deliberately planned and plotted to be a saga.

Andrew Leon said...

Really, for me, it was taking a good look at the publishing industry and how messed it up it is, right now, and deciding I didn't want to be a part of it. The writer should not be the employee, which is the view publishers -and- agents have. It's wrong. The agents and the publisher work -for- the writer. At least, that's how it's supposed to be. That's how it all started. Somewhere along the way, writers gave up their power. Self-publishing gives us a way to get some of that back.