Thursday, April 26, 2012

Yeah, I Get It Now

So, don’t you love those times when you think one way (and you’re not so bendy about it), and then life gives you the opportunity to understand the other position?  Yeah, I hate that... and maybe love it.  No.  Mostly hate.  In watching my friends get agents and book deals, I’ve had this idea that the amount of time it takes between when a book is purchased and published is an insanely unnecessarily huge amount of time.  I mean, really, over a year and in some cases even longer.  Yeah, I might have judged the lofty publishing industry for that.  So, I was dumb.  This process of getting a book ready to publish is insanely time consuming and while I am on my own to do everything (big lie, I have so many wonderful friends who are helping me along the way), I can only imagine the work load when you are publishing many books around the same time.  So, I hereby declare, I was wrong to judge you, Publishing Industry.  Please accept my heartfelt apologies.
So, since I haven’t been blogging much lately, I thought I’d share a little progress report about what has been happening in my self-publishing adventure.


I have a website now (thanks to my brother).  Check it out at julieannenelson.com.  There is some of the normal stuff, bios and book details, but the cool part is a contest I am running during the first month of my book release for The Wild Wood.  Two (Product)(red) iPod nanos etched with “Enter the Wild Wood.”  Details on how to enter are included.
The Wild Wood is going through some final editorial reads from my dear crew of readers (thanks so much!).
The book trailer is coming along (and yes, I’m making that myself... hopefully it turns out better than the paper mache dragon I made in grade school).
I have a Facebook author page, so please check that out here.
I have begun building the document in which I will lay out my book and it has been fun making all the graphics decisions.  I’d never considered how many decisions have to be made, from where you put the chapter numbers to fonts and section breaks.  It really is an adventure and I’m loving it.

There will be much more to follow and once I am through the thick woods I’m in right now, I will be back to blogging more regularly (and checking in on everyone else while I’m at it).
Happy Thursday to everyone!
Quote for the Day from Richard David Bach
“You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true.  You may have to work for it, however.”
(This made me teary and it is so true.)

2 comments:

Liza said...

Congratulations! Looks like all your hard work is coming to fruition. Your web page looks great! Sounds like there is an exciting summer ahead for you.

Jemi Fraser said...

I love that quote!

The site looks terrific! I love your bio. Your mom sounds like an awesome lady! :)