Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Picking a Date

Not so unlike picking the date for a wedding, for a vacation, or any other momentous occasion, picking the date for releasing your first novel is filled with excitement (and well, also some anxiousness). Yesterday, I buckled down and decided that June 29, 2012, will be the release date for my novel, The Wild Wood. This book has been a great love of mine; has been edited, chopped, and rewritten more than anything else I’ve written; and has delightfully connected with my readers (who are a very tough bunch). Upon hearing that I was going to publish The Wild Wood, one of my readers said, “Now do we get the sequel?!” My answer, “Yup.”

That is one of the best parts of deciding to self-publish. We all know the adage that if we don’t get an agent and sell the first book, it is a waste of time to write sequels. But I love sequels and series and the complicated confluence of events that happens when we pull back and look at the rest of the story. Series are wonderful because other than a little reminding, we get to move forward and tell different tales, while including known characters. We have a shared history with our readers of the places we’ve been together. I love it.

I am almost finished with the second book and more than any other book I’ve written, it has surprised me and challenged me. It took me places I hadn’t dreamed it would and made me suffer with my characters when saying, “How come you took me here? I want to go somewhere shinier with lots of unicorns and rainbows.” Yes, no one ever wrote a book that is peaceful and happy on every page. Even Winnie the Pooh had his problems.

So, more excited than nervous, I move toward June 29, 2012, and all the adventure that will bring. I hope you will stay tuned for the journey, including the book trailer that will be arriving probably within a month. And if you are considering self-publishing, I say go for it. After years of querying, getting within a breath of having an agent, seeing others moving forward, seeing the publishing industry falter, seeing the rise in self-publishing opportunities (some who even sell film rights and get awesome traditional publishing deals), working with constant dedication to improving my craft, it’s just time to move forward. I hope you join me.

Quote for the Day from Mark Twain

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

3 comments:

Liza said...

June 29 seems like a very lucky day!

Andrew Leon said...

Jim Butcher wrote 3 Dresden books before he got picked up by an agent. Part of the reason he got picked up was that he'd already written 3 books. If he'd just had the one, the agent wouldn't have been interested. In fact, she had previously turned him down. She only changed her mind because she found out he'd already written 2 sequels.

Debra Lynn Lazar said...

So happy for you! June 29th is marked on my calendar.