Saturday, January 7, 2012

A New Writing Adventure

I’ve been away from my blog long enough that getting back to it has felt awkward. Every time I’ve thought of writing a blog, I magically find crucial things that need taking care of (what, of course, hugging my not-so-small puppy is crucial). But today, I did something that ensured that I would post a new blog: I wrote a post on my new heirloom gardening blog (if you want to take a look, it is here). And then my writing blog got cranky and jealous, and sniped so loudly that I immediately (okay, I walked the Aggie pup, played on Twitter, listened to music, made a really great lunch, talked to my mom...) started writing a new post.

The trouble with blogging lately is that I have been in a transitional phase in my writing that hasn’t always been shiny, nor has it been particularly dark. It’s just been different. New ideas about the future have come through, a book has been written, joy has been reclaimed in the writing process, and I’m fairly happy about where I am at (in every aspect of my life, actually). I’m mostly content. Which is nice.

In writing, I’m preparing to do something I never really thought I would do. I think it is fair to say that we all imagine that as soon as we start querying with our Masterpieces-in-Waiting that agents are going to fall all over themselves to claim us, publishers are immediately going to see that we are the next Stephenie Meyer, and fans are going to adore, but never stalk, us. It’s all so beautiful and life is bliss. Few people, if any, have that experience (Harper Lee came close and then never published another book, so everything has its challenges). After reality strikes, we reassess, work hard, write more, find more people to critic our work, and submit the new baby, who’s a little more streetwise. And then the next and the next. That’s what I’ve done and I’ve been dedicated to the journey more than any perceived conclusions (for the most part).

I’m willing to keep doing this, pursuing the agent that will connect with my work and the opportunities that affords, but what I’ve recently realized (thanks to some special people in my life) is that I am ready for a new adventure in writing. Querying can come to feel like our writing is being done for a pool of agents, and that isn’t what any of us set out to do. We write for readers who will connect with our characters and our stories, who don’t have any business interest in us, but rather seek us out to provide spice to their lives as great tales are bound to do. I’m ready for a new adventure and I have a lot to learn, but soon (within months), I’m going to self-publish and I’m excited about all that I will experience on that adventure.

What about you? Anybody else thinking of embarking on that adventure?

Quote for the Day from J.R.R. Tolkien

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

2 comments:

Kasie West said...

Wooohooooo!!! That's exciting news. Can't wait for the world to get to read your books. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Good for you! I have several friends who've gone the self pub/epub route and it's been great.

I'm still on the learning journey. I'm hoping to enter the query trenches sometime this year and then I'll see what happens :)