Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cover Madness: Seriously, It's a Thing

Please picture me behaving with proper decorum (when in fact I'm jumping around like a spaz) during the following reveal.

After working with a fabulous graphic designer named Allison (find her amazing photography here), I am proud to present the fruits of our labor...

Drum roll...

The cover for my novel, The Wild Wood (releasing in May 2012):


Is it wrong to squeal? Just asking. I love it. But... then we had a happy accident and discovered this possible cover for the book. Now, I'm completely flummoxed.


Help. What do you think? Which one makes you want to read the book? Understand, The Wild Wood is a young adult fantasy.

Please, share your expertise and help me make this important (and the first) decision about my self-publishing adventure.

Quote for the Day from me

"I've got a freaking cover!!!!"

9 comments:

J.A. Souders said...

I like the 2nd one better. The first one the fire doesn't look all that great. But the 2nd one is mysterious and kinda of creepy. I like it.

Andrew Leon said...

The fire is more eye-catching, so I think it will do a better job of grabbing people's attention. However, how does the fire relate to the story? The title doesn't bring fire to mind for me. I like the second cover, but, then, there's nothing "wild" about it. Your title gives me the picture of dense trees and tangles and vines, but I'm not seeing any of that.

All of that to say that the cover should have to do with your story, not just look good. As long as the fire works with your story, I'd pick that one.

The Golden Eagle said...

I like the second one the best. The first one does match the title more, but the other is clean and sharp--and I love white covers. :)

Indigo said...

The trees are hard to see with the fire in the first one. The happy accident seems more mysterious and you can see the trees better, which seems to work for the title "Wild Wood". Looking awesome Jules! (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I like the white cover more, it makes you wonder if there is something else there. The fire looks weird especially on your character. Super excited you're self publishing.

Keep MOTICUSED!!!

Lola Sharp said...

I far prefer the 2nd/white/happy accident version.

CONGRATS on your new endeavor, Julie. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

They're both very cool! I do like the fire in the first, but that 2nd one really sends spooky, mysterious feel! Whichever you go with will be fabulous!

(I polled my family members who are here - 2 for the 1st, 2 for the 2nd so no help there!)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I love the second one. I like the fire in the first if it weren't covering the girl.

Jessie Sams said...

I definitely prefer the second cover. It looks cleaner and more inviting. If I saw that sitting in a bookstore (either in person or online), I'd gravitate toward it and want to know more about it. It's gorgeous!