Monday, June 13, 2011

Meeting Ms. West

As many in the writer blogging community know, blogs provide us with a community of supportive writers and, upon occasion, introduce us to the people who will become some of our best friends. I have been fortunate to become close friends with two different writers, both of them wonderful, generous people. On Friday of last week, I had the delightful opportunity to meet one of them in the real world for the first time: Ms. Kasie West.


Kasie and I began communicating just a couple months after I started my blog, and her treasure trove of goofiness and ability to write truly inspired songs about me (it’s a good thing she writes novels instead of songs, that’s all I’m saying) brought about a friendship that is as dear to me as any I’ve ever had. So when I found out she was going to be three hours away from me for part of a day, I took the day off of work, woke myself at 4:30 in the morning, and left the house just after six, with a new playlist to test out for the novel I’m writing and an excitement that made three hours fly right on by.


And then we met at the most scintillating of places... yup, that would be Denny’s where Kasie was having breakfast with her husband and amazingly wonderful in-laws (I’m not married, but if I ever am, I want people like these for in-laws... and actually before I got the chance to hug Kasie, Mrs. West hugged me first... how wonderful and welcoming was that!). I spent a truly magnificent day with Kasie and her family, exploring historical sites that I knew nothing about (okay, maybe I prepped with some research so I wouldn’t feel like an ignorant toad). And then we only got a little lost on the way to dinner (never ask Kasie a question about her life while she’s supposed to be studying a map... just saying).


On the drive home, I couldn’t get over the feeling about how magical the day was and that it was one of the best days I’ve had in recent memory. And it never once felt like we were meeting for the first time, because we’ve been an active part of each other’s lives and writing for quite a while now. I truly feel blessed in the friends, both writers and non-writers, that I am fortunate enough to know.


Thanks to the Wests for welcoming me into your very special day. And a huge congratulations to Kasie on her book deal. I’ve read her book, and I told her it was brilliant (maybe a few times). Isn't it nice to be right! :)


Oh, and yes, I felt like Lilliputian all day (which turns out to be a reference not everyone knows... extra points to Jared for just nodding politely and acting like I was as normal as Kasie. :)


Quote for the Day from Anonymous


“If you're alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder. If you want a hug, I'll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile. But anytime you need a friend, I'll just be me.”


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog; glad you had such a good time.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

What fun!!!

I found out when I moved back to ABQ that a blogger friend also lives here. We've met half a dozen times for coffee and saw Jane Eyre together. She's about 6 months ahead of me in the process, and I've learned so much.

And remember, my door is open to you when you're around these parts!

Liza said...

Lovely.

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, Kasie is tall. How fun is that to get to meet your blogging buddy! And what better place to meet than Denny's? :D

Theresa Milstein said...

How nice you got to spend time with Kasie and her family. It's great meeting writers in person after knowing them on-line for months or even years.

Kasie West said...

AWWWWW! So much fun. I had a great time! Thanks for taking the time to come see me. You're awesome! And, yeah, I am no good at songs or directions. :)