Friday, May 13, 2011

The Gift of Tears

Every one of us experiences hardships, sadness, letdowns. Not one of us will go through this life without feeling the potent, life-wrecking power of true loss. It’s how we deal with life’s struggles that tells who we really are, or maybe even who we need to be. For today, because it’s Friday the 13th (and I don’t want to jinx myself), I’m thinking more of the smaller hurdles, not the greater. The ones that ache inside us but don’t floor us.


After spending several less-than-glorious years as a wallowing fool, I decided to ‘just say no’ to murkiness, in favor of simply moving forward when greeted with difficulties. As a rule, that seems great. The laws of attraction folks might even cheer, but recently, I’ve discovered the darker side of this strategy: denial. Even if we paint on our giddy faces and approach each struggle as a chance to overcome, inside us, grief is still happening, only it isn’t being released.


During a recent conversation with a lovely friend, she said, “You can stop being grateful for everything you do have and be a little sad for what you don’t.”


She said this after I talked about something with her and tears came, which I always announce with some amount of shame, “I’m going to cry,” as though people need to be warned that my bright and shiny has tilted. Her words got me thinking about my life and the way I live it. She’s right. I don’t cry as a general rule, except when tears force their way out while I’m talking to someone (sometimes at completely inopportune moments). I don’t sit at home and have a cry-fest for a few reasons. One, it feels like a waste of time. Two, I could always be doing something to move my goals and life forward. Three, crying when I look around at how lucky I am seems like an affront to people who suffer much more than I do. And four, my tears upset my aging soul mate of a border collie. Tears equal useless in my mind, but they break free anyway, always tamped down by my exacting nature with myself (I would never be as unkind and control freakish with anyone else as I am with myself).


This is where the denial comes in. Even though I don’t free the tears, the sadness lives and needs a voice. The person inside me who is hurt by living a solitary existence, who struggles with rejection like any writer, who experiences hurt and loss like everyone else has a right to her tears. But still, I can’t just cry (see above, waste of time).


That is where books come in. Last weekend, I read Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery, the eighth book in the Anne of Green Gables series (which I have loved). This book, thanks to some very heavy handed foreshadowing in previous books (so heavy handed, I called it forebillboarding), involved the death of one of Anne’s children in the horror that was World War I. Walking with the character, while he struggled with his poetic soul, too gentle for such violence, against the sense of honor and duty that leads people to enter the fray, brought forth such a slew of tears that I had to put the dog in another room to protect him from fiction-based anxiety. I wept. A lot. And could right now. I’ve said before that I have no protective filter when I read. For a well-written story with compelling characters, I live the characters’ lives and suffer their hardships.


But what I found after my day of tears was that L.M. Montgomery gave me a gift, a way to mourn that which needed mourning. She, through her beloved poet, gave me a catharsis the likes of which I haven’t experienced in a long time. And though emotionally exhausted afterward, I also felt free. Like the Day of Atonement observed by my wonderful Jewish friends, this was my day of grieving. It was a necessary experience for me to get my happy heart back and to be able to move forward with a more relaxed, accepting sensibility.


But then, it’s also made me even more grateful for my life, to live in a world with books, to have been raised in a place where reading is taught, to have a very special home to live in with an abundance of peace, for a day that I could push everything else aside to live in fiction, to have my border collie still around after I thought he’d already be gone, to have... to have... to have...


I am very, very grateful for my life. And for you.


Quote for the Day from Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery


“But tonight somehow, all the beautiful things I have always loved seem to have become possible again — and this is good, and makes me feel a deep, certain, exquisite happiness.”

4 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

You've got me tearing up!!

We do need that release at times. I'm a sappy marshmallow when I'm reading. My family has gotten used to it :) I do believe I sobbed with pretty much every book in the Anne series - every time I read them. Thanks for the memories and the reminder. Take care!

Kasie West said...

There is absolutely nothing as great as a good cry. I don't do it enough, but when I have, I feel like you described: free. Great post, Julie. You are an amazing person and friend.

(After re-reading my comment, I decided there are actually a lot of things equal to or greater than a good cry. But as far as for release, it tops the list.) :)

Debra Lynn Lazar said...

I can't believe I missed this brilliant post. I love the phrase, "fiction-based anxiety" - too funny! Yes, tears are important. They cleanse our hearts, minds, and souls. They help us move forward. I love you, btw.

Indigo said...

I think we need to balance between our utmost joys and sadder moments. Without those heartfelt tears and experiencing some sadness in our lives, we wouldn't know true happiness when it arrived.

I let myself feel words, emotions, life fully. It's the only way to be. Beautiful post dear friend. (Hugs)Indigo