Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Building Possibility

Although it might appear that my bloggy dedication is waning, I assure you there is a good reason. The best reason imaginable (especially to a bunch of writers). Yep, you guessed it, my new YA novel is about to hatch and head on out to market. My readers have been dedicated, my critique partners vigilant in helping me craft my query, and that NASA T-minus-so-many-seconds clock is ticking down. My final polishing reader is awaiting her crack at the novel. I’m squirming my way through the synopsis (my absolute least favorite part of the agent-acquisition process... and agents get extra points with me if they don’t ask for one).


And the best part, the excitement is building. The feeling that this project could get me to the next step, teach me the next lesson, and take me for a wild ride. My last project, though it didn’t get me an agent, yielded a great deal of interest, wonderful feedback, and was proof that I was on the path. It is a fun prospect to be able to query for this new project by beginning with all the people who requested partials and fulls of the last one (especially those who took the time to share their thoughts).


The truth is, only by leaning forward and in some ways beginning again with a new project can we build possibility for ourselves and our dreams. I love this new project, but I loved and will always love the last one and the one before that. Each word, page, book is our legacy of growth. I recently wandered through my first completed work from a few years ago and while I still love it, I know I’ve come a long way in my writing. Measurable proof is a satisfying thing. So, whether this book wows the world or just helps me to hone my craft, I am building possibility in the only way a writer can. And that is an empowering feeling.


Huge thanks goes to my readers and those willing to wield a hefty axe to both my books and that darn query letter. You make me a better writer and share in the possibility.


Quote for the Day from Karen Ravn


“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.”

11 comments:

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats said...

This is so exciting - thank you for sharing.

And, incidentally, I just thought of Emily of New Moon last week and started missing my Anne of Green Gables books. While I loved the arc of Emily, Anne books are what imbue me with optimism. :)

Debra Lynn Lazar said...

Your quotes of the day blow my mind. You should do a post listing all of them. And, happy almost birthday to your new book! Can't wait to cradle her in my arms. ;-))

Stacy Henrie said...

Congrats on submitting your newest project! I love what you said about being happy with it whether it wows the market or hones your craft.

ali said...

That quote is stunning! Congrats on being so close and good luck!!

Shallee said...

Good luck! That's awesome you're so close, I hope everything goes well!

Kathy said...

I know I am your mother but I still love the first one! The characters live with me still.

Kathy said...

Oh, and good wishes on the new one.

Janet Johnson said...

Best of luck with it! Exciting position to be in. :)

Lola Sharp said...

That quote just blew me away. Like whoa.

Best wishes and good luck on this next step in your journey! *hugs*

Love,
Lola

Elena Solodow said...

Very exciting! Congrats on reaching this next step.

Regina said...

Super news. Best wishes and can't wait until it is out in the world.