Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Twisted Perspective

Recently, I had a conversation with two wonderful friends, both of whom have recently had a hard time in relationships. I listened anxiously to their experiences, the amazing letdown of a relationship gone wrong, and the subsequent feelings of rejection.


In my twisted writer’s perspective, a part of me thought... “Just one rejection... I’ve got a couple hundred.” Of course, the human in me smothered that line of thinking because rejection is rejection and rejection equals major suckage of the universe. But I did think I should share that tale with my writer friends who can laugh at how twisted this road is and how twisted we who walk it can become.


Rejections are a part of this business we all know. We all accept that we’re going to experience more bumps than smooth sailing. And we stay in the fight because... well, we’re twisted... okay, no, because we’re believers and dreamers and we can’t imagine not believing and not dreaming. We can’t imagine abandoning the parts of ourselves that sneak new stories into our minds while we’re not looking. The parts that show us worlds and characters and allow us to take journeys that maybe others will never truly understand. And even without publishing them, the worlds we create are worthy and have a purpose to their existence.


And we have to take from our rejections only what can help us in the future and drop everything else that can’t. It’s not easy. But in our hearts, we’re fighters. So, we’ll do what’s hard and just keep going, knowing that if the last punch didn’t knock us down, neither will the next one. And truly, it’s only up from here.


Quote for the Day from Cool Hand Luke


Luke: Yeah, well, sometimes nothin’ can be a real cool hand.

7 comments:

Laura Marcella said...

Rejection is a part of life. But as writers, we experience more of it than others do, lol!

I like the quote. :)

Patti said...

Like you said, rejection is rejection and it takes a while to get over it, but eventually we do and we move on.

Kasie West said...

Woot! Bring on the rejection! Wait, is that what you were trying to do here, get me excited about rejection? :) Well, it worked. I'm a lover not a fighter! Wait, no, that quote doesn't work here. I'm a fighter! Fight! Fight! Fight! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

I love this post. :)

Great quote.

Elena Solodow said...

This post was a nice comfort, as I've just gotten a rejection on a partial. Glad the bloggers are out tonight!

Regina said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes!

J.L. Campbell said...

Interesting and realistic take on rejection. I believe they keep us moving onward and upward.