Monday, January 3, 2011

Turning Pages... There’s Nothing Better

Gotta say, I love new years. I realize it’s just a relatively arbitrary accounting method designed a very long time ago, but that doesn’t dim the sense of possibility I feel every single time I’m fortunate enough to see a January first... and second... and third. The close of an old year and the beginning of a new one feel to me like turning pages, and I love the sense of wonder that comes with a fresh page (either blank for me to fill or filled with undiscovered words written by someone else). Turning pages brings great freedom to let go of everything that came on the page before... or the year before. 2010 for me was an amazing year, one of greater peace and happiness than I’ve ever known. The power of the contentment I found is that it came from within, not because my goals have panned out or I won the lotto. And I hate to say this out loud (or on paper), but I’m grateful that I found happiness before the tangible reasons for it arrived. I’m grateful for having the chance to evolve more before I get an agent, a publishing deal, or any of the other things I dream of. It does rankle a bit to be grateful for a long and sometimes painful waiting/rejection process, but I am.


2010 also had a darker side of frustrations, hardships, and unfinished things that can now be released because the page has turned and all that wasn’t doesn’t matter as much as the possibility of what could be on this page or the other side of the next page.


Any year that begins with my dreams solidly in place, my loved ones held dear, and a hope that fills me to brimming—now that’s a great first page.


And I’m wishing everyone a hopeful first page. No matter what scars former years leave on us, I say we have the choice to turn the page and live today as free of former pages as we choose to be.


Quote for the Day from T.S. Eliot


“For last year’s words belong to last year’s language and next year’s words await another voice.”

15 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

Happy New Year to you as well!

The Golden Eagle said...

I hope you have a wonderful 2011! :)

Melissa said...

Happy New Year! I hope 2011 brings you all the best.

Jemi Fraser said...

That was lovely! I hope your 2011 is filled with fresh pages and joy! Take care :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year; good blog!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy New Years - you have such a great outlook!

Kelly said...

Good luck with your new voice in the new year! :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Beautiful post! I hope 2011 is spectacular for you! :-)

Jessica Hill said...

Happy New Year! I hope 2011 is amazing for you! :)

Elana Johnson said...

Excellent insight. Love the quote--so profound. Hope you had/have a great year!

Jen Chandler said...

Hi Julie!

Thanks so much for stopping by my little blog :D

I love this post! Such a brillian outlook on a new year. I've always looked forward to the blank pages of a new year. A new chance to get things right, get things going, and to step out into the unknown and accomplish dreams.

Cheers!
Jen

Lola Sharp said...

Love this thoughtful post. :)

Here's to brilliant first pages and a shiny new year!
May your 2011 bring you great joy.

Love,
Lola

Tricia said...

New Year's always means "fresh" to me. It's permission to close the book on the bad and look ahead for brighter days.

Kasie West said...

I'm the same. I love a new year. It's so shiny and full of possibility. Happy New Year!

ali said...

Holy cow that Eliot quote is amazing. I'm a huge fan, but hadn't read that one before. Thanks for sharing it!

I also love what you said about the darker side of 2010 and how you can leave all that behind you now. Love that!

Happy New Year to you Julie!