Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Other Side

I might have mentioned before that I think life is a beautiful, wonderful thing. But on occasion, it does have a suckage factor of about a billion. Sure, there is a time for everything... or more prettily put, “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.” But when those times come for breaking down, dying, losing, hating, waring, mourning, weeping, and refraining from embracing, isn’t it easy to forget everything else, all the good stuff? It is all too easy to wallow in all that isn’t. To waste life.

I am going through something, something so normal, so part of life, and yet, so decidedly on the suckage side of the force, and, somehow, I’m finding clarity as I fight to see the good, to remember all the time life offers to plant, to heal, to laugh, to dance, to embrace, to love, to find peace. I’m taking time each day to remember that on the other side of hardship is beauty. That every day we are lucky enough to reach the end of is another chance to work to see the good. It’s not free. We have to fight for it.

Too many people (myself included) have wasted so much time picking through old wounds and never allowing the healing to come, never seeing the beauty on the other side of every loss. I hated it when some sage friends told me that happiness is a choice, but now I believe that more than any other thing in my life. And I choose to be happy. That doesn’t mean that tears aren’t lining up for me as I go through this current hurdle or that my life is bursting with money, fame, power, true love, and Dairy Queen Oreo Blizzards. But I choose to believe that on the other side of this grief, beauty is waiting. Love is waiting. Adventure is waiting. And I wouldn’t give up one good minute even though minutes eventually run out for all of us.

And I want to give credit where it is due and say that when going through anything rough, good friends, good family, and good fiction really help. I’m currently reading the third book in the Anne of Green Gables series (for the first time), and Lucy Maud Montgomery gave the world a wonderful thing in writing such amazingly positive and hopeful stories. She made that choice, because her life was anything but easy.

I hope that everyone out there is choosing happy and seeing their own power in the way they perceive the world. Truly, I believe this is how we change the world.

Quote for the Day from Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

“Isn’t it splendid there are so many things to like in this world?”

7 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

As always, very inspiring post. Thanks.

Debra L. Schubert said...

Get out of my head!!! I love you. That is all. ;-)

Laura Marcella said...

I love the Anne of Green Gables series!!! I read the first one when I was 9 and was delighted when I found out it was a series. I re-read them every couple of years. I hope you're enjoying them! The first and fifth (Anne's House of Dreams) are my favorite.

And you're right about L.M. Montgomery's life... it's wonderful how she could write so many heartwarming, positive novels despite all her losses. She's definitely someone we all can learn from!

DL Hammons said...

I'll choose HAPPY every day of the week, and twice on Sunday!! :)

Melissa said...

This was so inspiring! You just brightened my day

Theresa Milstein said...

What an excellent attitude. I try to do this more, but I fail too often.

But I'm having a lovely day, and I'm going to savor it.

Thrive said...

You have grown so much (and I say that in such a positive way). I love your spirit and attitude toward life! You are in my prayers and we love you!