Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Everywhere I Look

Greetings Cyberworld, I didn’t forget about you (or my trusty blog), but I have been away a while. A family visit, a long vacation, the subsequent game of catching up with life, work, and much laundry fueled my absence, and now that I’ve been away awhile, it feels a little strange to come back. But then I’m in a strange, post-vacation malaise lately that, like the smell of already eaten broccoli, is a little tough to take.

And I’m ready to blame the Internet (for at least a portion of my mood), which is certainly better than blaming other people, dragons, or (heaven forbid) myself. And I’m not really blaming the Internet as a whole, but rather online news sources. You see, while I have been absent from my blog, I couldn’t read other people's blogs because that felt like cheating on my own, so I broke my own rules and read online news.


I used to be all a-flutter with knowing about everything going on in the world, but months ago decided that news just depressed me, made me feel powerless, and overall was a wet rag in the lovely landscape of my life. So, I gave it up. But like addicts, when I wasn’t checking blogs (which I used as my anti-news addiction recovery patch), I went back to the news, thinking it wouldn’t have the same effect on me now. Boy was I wrong. The world is bleak according to the headlines. People do horrible things. Governments do horrible things. Animal shelters do horrible things. People who work in airports do horrible things. Parents do horrible things. Actually, just about every headline is about something bad (oh, except for that royal wedding announcement, which after what happened to Diana I just can’t get too excited about). So, there you have it, the world is rotten.


Except.

That it’s not rotten at all.

I love the world and so many of the people in it. I have friends and acquaintances in many states in the country and not one of them is doing the things on the front page of the newspaper. They all care about people, including friends, family, and even (shocking, I know) strangers. And even though these people are wonderful, marvelous gifts to the world, they spend time worrying that they aren’t giving enough to their families, their children, and their friends. Decency. Compassion. Excellent giggling skills. These are the things that are everywhere I look.


Recently, I took a self-defense class that was offered for free by a local police department (I highly recommend you see if something like that is available in your area) and met another wonderful group of people, from the instructors to the other students. Any time we open our eyes, we see people doing things for each other, without regard for personal gain. How many times have we read drafts of our friends’ works in progress, searching for how we can best facilitate their paths to publication? Staying up late to revise query letters, or just being there to listen to each other when we need it most? We all need pep talks sometimes because this writing path is painfully slow and just plain painful sometimes. It’s hard to believe every day, day after day, that things are going to work out. For that, I value my friends for always listening and providing the rope that keeps me from sinking under.


So, mission statement from today forward: STOP READING THE NEWS!


(Side Note: please e-mail or call if the news reports that I should be fleeing from dragons. :)


Quote for the Day from Anne Frank


“Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!”

2 comments:

Debra L. Schubert said...

"I have friends and acquaintances in many states in the country and not one of them is doing the things on the front page of the newspaper. They all care about people, including friends, family, and even (shocking, I know) strangers. And even though these people are wonderful, marvelous gifts to the world, they spend time worrying that they aren’t giving enough to their families, their children, and their friends."

God, I've missed you!!! And, ending your honest and insightful post with an Anne Frank quote is the perfect way to underline the basic magnificence of humanity.

Thanks to you and Anne for the reminder. And please know how much I love you. ;-)

Liza said...

This is a fantastic post. You are a beautiful writer.