Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Something Wondrous

Sunday night, I was privileged to host a house concert for my favorite singer, Susan Enan. Earlier this year, she decided to tour the country singing in people’s houses. When she put out the call for houses to play in, I signed up even though I was terrified to have people in my house (I’m a lone writer most of the time for a reason). But I simply couldn’t let this unique experience pass me by because I knew I would regret it. You see, Susan Enan is more than just a singer I love; her music has provided the backdrop for many thousands of words. Almost every playlist I’ve created for my novels has included a song or two from Ms. Enan. The chance to have her play her beloved songs in my living room was truly like a bunch of birthdays put together. And the concert was truly a celebration.

I gathered up just about the most wonderful group of people for the audience (and they, knowing I am gathering-challenged, provided snacks, beverages, and moral support). In truth, after getting the house ready, the rest was really easy. What I was initially afraid of melted away because of the joy of introducing people to a singer/songwriter I love.

And then she sang. It was miraculous: her talent, her sensitivity to the performance, the way she captivated everyone in the room. I knew this would be a powerful event for me, but watching everyone else's reactions to the music was so humbling. Everyone was moved, some to tears. Music, I’ve always believed, allows us to connect with emotions we usually seek to control. Susan Enan’s music allowed us to connect with her and with each other in a way that only live music can. The moments we shared in my living room are special and will never be exactly duplicated. I’m so very grateful to have heard the music that facilitates my connection to my stories, stories I hope will one day connect with others.

Artists of all varieties are a kind of family. I felt that talking with Susan about her adventures in the music industry, and she easily understood the trials of the publishing industry.

And then, I took her to the State Fair and showed her a life-sized cow made entirely of butter.

We’ll be friends for life now. :)

Please check out Susan Enan's music, you won’t be sorry. And maybe her music will take you on journeys I will discover when I read your published novels. And think about hosting a house concert; there is simply nothing like it.

Quote for the Day from Susan Enan’s “Monoplain”

“We need to make some water but we’re all too tired to cry
So roll down your river ‘til your river runs dry”

Photographs were taken by my dear friend, Allison. Check out her talent here.

9 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

That might just be the coolest thing I've ever heard!

I don't know her music, but you can bet I'm looking it up! :)

Allison said...

Julie,
This was a really cool experience. So glad I was there and I just loved watching her perform. Beautiful voice and she makes it looks so effortless!

Debra L. Schubert said...

Music is the language of the soul, and the soul is beautiful beyond words. When I'm lost in music I love (including my own!) nothing else matters. I have no worries or fears, and that is an extraordinary gift. Good for you for hosting such a memorable, meaningful, life-changing event.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats said...

That is indeed absolutely wondrous. I am so glad you were able to experience this :) And I loved your last 4 posts and I am so sorry I never made my way over here to actually say that.

Julie said...

Jemi,

Having Susan sing in my living room was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had... in my entire life. Glad you are looking into her music. "Bird" is my fav right now... but "Monoplain" is a very close second.

Julie said...

Allison,

Thanks so much for being there and for taking such amazing photos. You are a true keeper. :)

Julie said...

Debbie,

I wish you had been there, too. You would have loved it. And I completely agree about the power of music. :)

Julie said...

Valerie,

Thanks for the comment, and the evening was truly amazing. And I completely understand about the lurking and not commenting; I do that a lot. Hope your summer is going wonderfully and will email soon. :)

Candice said...

How wonderful! I love intimate setting for art. And what a great idea, a house tour. I think that would be awesome for book readings as well!