Tuesday, July 6, 2010

So, This Really Was My First Rodeo

I’ve been a little absent from my trusty blog. I really didn’t mean to be gone as long as I was, but life does get a little busy sometimes and we just have to roll with the punches. In the past month or so, I’ve been dedicated to a few different projects, some fictional, some historical, and some vacational (yes, I made a word... but since I’ve decided to go pro in the field of vacationing, I feel I have the necessary street cred).

In fiction, I've been working on my difficult story child, which feels like an entirely unfair mantra for my story. The truth is that I stopped the story midway to work on another project and haven’t found my way back into the heart of things. After more deliberation than was probably healthy, I’ve decided to set the story aside and work on something else. This is the first time I’ve done that. It feels strange, but if I don’t have the passion for the story, how can I possibly think anyone else will. My mind is all aflutter deciding what to work on next. And since I love first drafts best, I’m looking forward to falling into a new world and taking a brand new ride to wherever I end up.

In history, I spent much of the past month and a half preparing a video for my best friend’s surprise birthday party (which is now past, so I can discuss). Gathering the pictures and going through them was like a therapy session entitled “This is Sorta Your Life.” When you’ve been friends with someone for twenty-seven years, their journey in some ways is your journey, up until certain turns and off ramps. Looking at her life forced me to look at my own, but with a strange detachment because she provided the filter. I was at different times nostalgic, sad, giggly, and filled with love. I really do love my best friend. She’s one of the best people I will ever know and I feel blessed that our friendship has survived.

As much as I am not a surprise party (or surprises in general) person, it was fun standing in her living room, having flown 2,000 miles to get there and leaving the next morning for my actual vacation, when she walked in. Seeing the look of shock/wonder on her face was something I will never forget and I was so glad to be there. She loved the video I created and it was worth the many hours it took to put it together and to get the music just right. And it is wonderful to know that we share such a past and a future, too.

And let’s talk about vacations. I attended my very first full rodeo... in Santa Fe... in an outdoor stadium... under the gorgeous (sometimes stormy) New Mexico skies... and I’m a changed woman. Seriously. I’ve admitted before that I have a Professional Bull Riding addiction (watching not participating). And let that be a lesson to you: One fluke event can change your life. Beware what you do. I’m currently suffering withdrawal from the PBR, as they are on a summer break (to heal, mostly). But the rodeo and the excitement leading up to the rodeo helped me to survive. It was amazing, and I can’t imagine a more beautiful setting for a first-time rodeo attender.

(Also, I need for you to know about one other thing, in case you ever encounter it: ribbon fries. They are decadent. Obtain some, devour, and repeat. You won’t be sorry.)

I think that catches you up with my current events and prepares for me to start posting again with more frequency. I’m working on being on a schedule. Tuesdays and either Thursdays or Fridays. We’ll see how I do. I look forward to catching up with all the blogs I follow, and I hope you all are having a lovely summer.

Quote for the Day from “Rodeo” by Garth Brooks

“It's boots and chaps
It's cowboy hats
It's spurs and latigo
It's the ropes and the reins
And the joy and the pain
And they call the thing rodeo”

4 comments:

Indigo said...

I think you made the right choice putting your WIP aside. I know there are days I have to do the same thing with mine, otherwise I fear the words will sound...forced.

I can just imagine you as a rodeo gal. Maybe you can turn that enthusiam into a storyline (winks). (Hugs)Indigo

Julie said...

Hi Indigo,

It has been rough making the decision to set aside my WIP, and your support is very appreciated. I don't like feeling like a quitter, but in this case, I really think it is for the best. If the story wants to be told, it will get pushy and I can pick it up again. In the mean time, there are other worlds to explore.

Oh, I have cowgirl dreams. Haven't figured out a story for those dreams, but I sense one calling. :)

Hugs right back at you. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

One of my little dreams is to get to a live rodeo one of these days. The atmosphere, the scents, the action, the joy - sounds wonderful!

You may get back that joy for the wip, but I think as writers we have to go to with our hearts! :)

Julie said...

Jemi,

You should definitely get to a rodeo. It was amazing. And you are right, the atmosphere was wonderful.

My story hasn't entirely let me go. I'm about to play around with some story beginnings since I'm not sure what I want to work on next (one of them is a new beginning to my former WIP... the story is crafty, trying to woo me with a new shiny direction). ;)