Monday, February 1, 2010

Help! I Need a Support Group... Cause I’ve Got an Agent Crush!

When my agented friends speak (read gush) about their agents, it’s very much like a love affair. So, I guess it stands to reason that before the love-in begins, it’s all about the crush, and I’ve fallen in crush with an agent. Or two... maybe three. I’ve even got an agent-ish crush on the assistant to a successful agent (cause she gives good rejection... no, truly, I’ve never received a nicer or more supportive letter in my life). And just like in real dating, just because things don’t click doesn’t mean that you can’t still think highly of each other and wish the best for your future lives/careers.


What I will say is that when you have an honest to goodness agent crush, the waiting for a response is that much harder because it’s not a total cyber stranger who has your full or partial; it’s your crush. There’s always the risk you will get too smitten, and I’ve been guilty of this in the past, though I’m trying to live clean now. You know... testing out how their name will look on the Publishers Marketplace announcement of your forty-seven book, ten trillion dollar deal (that you are of course going to use to save the world, pay off the national debt, end world hunger, and outlaw the existence of calories in frappuccinos), just like you would test out a guy’s last name with yours (sometimes before the first date).


But, like I said, I’m trying to live clean. I’ve gotten downright detached about the whole thing, but then the crush strikes. The crush catalyst can be an agent having an amazingly forthright website, representing a beloved author, or giving an interview that shows enough personality to make me think we’d be a great duo.


Now, I do draw the line at outlining the agent’s name with hearts and rainbows on my querying spreadsheet, writing epic poetry declaring my crush-ness, or renaming my pets with the agent’s name. Boundaries. It’s all about the boundaries.


So, are you now or have you ever been in crush with an agent? And how do you make it through the waiting time?


Quote for the Day from Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather


“A wave of feeling passed over his bronze features as he said slowly:


‘My friend has come.’


That was all, but it was everything; welcome, confidence, appreciation.”

21 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

LOL I was just thinking about this. I think I just might blog about it today... We'll see. If I do, I'll send people your way.

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

DebraLSchubert said...

Too funny! I love the phrase "gives good rejection" - that's a classic right there. I'll call you later so you can fill me in on the juicy details - am dying to know who you're crushing on! And, I'm happy to say, the honeymoon keeps on giving. If I had a dollar for every time I say, "Gosh, I love my agent," to my honey, I wouldn't need a book deal. I'd already by rich. ;-)

Daisy Whitney said...

Agent crushes! Of course I've had em!

Mireyah Wolfe said...

I have loads of agent crushes, and I both dread and anticipate the day when I enter the Querying World. *dreamy sigh*

Good luck with yous!! =D

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I have to confess sending more than one email to friends about "Mr. Dream Agent"...and I also should confess Mr. Dream Agent ended up being more than one person. :)

Nate said...

I must be in authors' puberty, then, because I'm in love with a different one every week these days...

...and apparently have raging zits.

Where's the Clearasil?
;-(

Kathryn Magendie said...

*laughing!* Love the post, and the comments as well! ....

I by-passed the agent query process and went straight to small press. But, every so often, I think about those agents - sort of like watching those commercials for online dating services: should I? or should I be happy with what I have *laugh* (um, of course I mean that just metaphorically and not that I'd look on dating sites when I have good old GMR as my husband! teehee).

Jen said...

Awesome post... and I'm with Kathryn the posts are hilarious!!!

I fell across your blog and I can't wait to keep reading your posts!!!

I don't think I am far enough in the game to have an agent crush, but at least I'll know when I get there that it will be normal!

Jemi Fraser said...

Hysterical :)

One of my top (okay - very top) agent crushes has a partial right now. Absolutely killing me!

Julie said...

Lynnette,

I'm so glad I'm not alone with having ACS (Agent Crush Syndrome), and I loved your blog. Thanks for the shout out!

Julie said...

Debbie,

As you know (and since you're my BFF, you know the agent assistant I was speaking about), she did give good rejection with all sorts of support and class. If she decides to take on her own clients, I'll be crushing hard and submitting lots. :)

Glad you are so happily situated in the agenting arena. I love your happiness and look forward to my signed copy.

"Dear Jules,
I owe it all to you."

(In case you need help with the perfect inscription.)

Julie said...

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the validation of my agent crush condition. And isn't it fall already? I'm ready for my copy of The Mockingbirds already (that said, I'd love some really nice, warm summer before we jump back into fall again.) :)

Julie said...

Hi Mireyah,

Glad to hear you are crushing before even submitting. You'll need a patch or something by the time you do! No really, it's much more fun when you do start submitting. Querying is tough, but you don't have the chance at finding your perfect, dreamy (McDreamy even) agent until you throw all your heart (and passels of queries) into the game.

Thanks so much for the comment!

Julie said...

Caroline,

I say that it's perfectly okay to be agent crush fickle... and a player. And each rejection by a pre-crush agent leaves the opportunity for the crush to land on a lonely, overlooked agent. It's all about sharing the love. :)

Julie said...

Nate,

"Author's puberty"... you completely had me rolling with that one. I have to say, I think we are all in author's puberty. I mean, at what point will we not feel insecure, hopeful, in desperate love with our stories and characters, and just hoping that others will love us and them, too? Sounds like it's a permanent state of puberty. Seriously, gotta love that Clearasil!

Thanks for the comment.

Julie said...

Kathryn,

Thanks for the comment! You made me think of agents creating bios like in those dating sites. How funny would that be?

"I'm an agent who loves a good time and enjoys backgammon, breeding sea horses, and Asian cuisine looking for a writer who listens to my suggestions, will always get back to me, and knows how to give a great foot rub. Height/weight proportional only."

Julie said...

Jen,

Thanks for the comment and for finding the blog. Oh, you'll know. That swoony feeling will hit and you'll wonder, "Am I having a low blood sugar moment?" But no, it will suddenly hit you... it's an agent-be-my-sugar attack. You'll imagine that phone call offering representation. You'll imagine yourself witty and charming, and the agent gushing about how wonderful your story is. You'll be suave and in complete control (not at all a blubbering mess). And the fantasy will go on... until the rejection arrives and then you will remove their number from your phone and never think of them again... because over there is a new crush waiting to happen! :)

Julie said...

Jemi,

I am right there with you! My agent crushes have samples of my work. One of them might very well be my McDreamifying agent.

All my hopes are with you obtaining either the dream agent or the agent of your dreams (after all, we mustn't rule out the fact that some agent might be crushing hard on you right now, but you haven't given him/her the time of day!) :)

Kasie West said...

I crush on my agent every day. It might be slightly uncomfortable for her, but I can't help it. :) But, yes, in the querying phase, I was like you, anticipating the acceptance from my favs. :)

Julie said...

Hi Kasie,

I'm pretty sure your agent would rather endure your crush-age than share gum with your delightful son. Just a thought. :)

Tricia said...

Call me a floozy, but I have about ten crushes going on right now.

Each one is "the one"; I just wish they'd lay off those restraining orders.