Saturday, October 3, 2009

An Unexpected Change of Plans

When first hit by the blog bug on Thursday, I had my first two blog topics already in mind. You see, I’m a bit of a planner. Those who know me best will already be rolling, but hopefully not down a steep hill toward an eel-filled moat. So, plans. Yes, I like them. Even my plans have plans. There is nothing I like better than creating multi-tiered goals, lists, and intricate battle plans (hence, the past experience as a history teacher). Now, one might think that means that I don’t change them. Not true at all. A change of plans is an excuse for creating new plans. And as evidence, today’s blog is not the one I intended. But the motivation to change is too delightful to ignore.


Our motivator: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


I began Shiver based on the gushing review provided by Suzie Townsend over at Confessions of a Wandering Heart. Her love for this book is anything but slight. And I have to say, her love is accurately placed. This book sucked me in completely. The characters are so rich, the writing so beautiful, and journey so heartfelt that I felt both giddy and lucky to have experienced this world Ms. Stiefvater created.


With a title like Shiver, it shouldn’t be a shock that the cold plays a very powerful role in the story. I’m really glad that I read it just after the beginning of autumn sent many cool breezes to my home (we’ve already had frost warnings). And as I nervously neared the end of the book, while reading in my chilly house, I found myself sitting on my futon, back to the window, absorbing the sun’s warmth and praying that that warmth would give me a hopeful ending. I’m not sure if the sun really helped or if it was just a lovely gift from Ms. Stiefvater, but the end is as gorgeous as the beginning and middle.


(A little note about how I feel about the cold and how it affects my reading experiences. Readers of the Twilight series will know of the competition between Team Edward and Team Jacob to win Bella’s love. Readers are very fervent about this topic and are usually solidly in one camp or the over. I, on the other hand, dabble in both. When I first read the books, it was freezing here and Edward’s cold exterior just didn’t seem appealing, whereas Jacob’s warmth did. And when I re-read the books during the summer, I changed camps. So, I guess I have a weather-related fickle streak.)


Please read Shiver. It will remind you of both the beautiful fragility and iron-clad strength of true devotion and love.


To read Suzie Townsend's Shiver review, click here.


To visit Maggie Stiefvater’s website, click here.



Happy Reading.



Quote for the Day from Shiver:


“Isabel’s face was still wearing a pretty pout, but I saw storms destroying small villages in her eyes.”


7 comments:

Frank said...

Huh. After reading the review you linked, I'm interested. I don't get all excited about twilight, and the movie made me want to gouge out an eye (but only one). Sounds like it's an adult enough of a read for me...

sidenote: Jacob will forever be Sharkboy to me.

Julie said...

Frankie,

Regardless of viewing experience, I say firmly, "Keep both eyes." And I can't really judge the Twilight movie experience because I went opening night (yes, I'm that person) and there was so much screaming and carrying on (which I loved) that whether the movie was really good or not is still a mystery. The movie did one thing at the end that broke the mythology of the books, and that grated a bit. The books are still fantastic, but I think that Stephenie Meyer's The Host would be more to your liking. Definitely read Shiver, too. You will love it.

DebraLSchubert said...

That quote at the end of your post is stunning. It makes me think I've never written a decent sentence in all my life. Better get back to work...

Rebecca Anne said...

That lands that book on my to be purchased list (that never, ever gets finished despite any sort of smart book planning I attempt) I do love the warmth myself but have to say, I was team Edward from start to finish.....

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great book - I'll have to put it in my TBR pile as well. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging :)

Suzanne said...

Welcome to the blogoshpere! I'll pick this up!

suzie said...

Thanks for the shout out! Glad you loved Shiver :)